Tuesday, September 2, 2014

17,417 Words!!!

So, I've been working on a novel called Forgotten Dream for about 7 months now. I have taken it far slower than I originally planned, because I wanted to experience writing slowly vs. writing for NaNoWriMo. Anyway, you don't want to hear about that now, because I'm going to give you an excerpt from Forgotten Dream!

***Minor Spoilers***


The sun was relentless, and the dust kept kicking up, probably because I kept shuffling my feet. All the hope that had arisen when I saw that young tree had faded. Well, most of it. Pierre and I had been travelling for 2 days now, and had found no sign of an underground bunker. Every night we looked around our campsite. Nothing. Time was running out. For Adrien, for Pierre's friend. The hard truth was that Noelle was probably dead, and Adrien was not far behind. If we didn't find the recipe for, and make that cure within a day or two, Adrien would be lost. I didn't dare think on it too long. One worry led to another, until it came back around to my family. Were my aunt and uncle alright? All of the younger cousins? I wondered if Jerome was having any luck with  the government. Stubborn though they may be, we had a good argument, and once I got back, if I got back, I could tell them that the land really was fertile. Of course, I couldn't reveal Keenan's people.
"Rose." Pierre said
"No, we can't stop now." I grumbled at the boy
"I think you may want to. Look!" Up ahead was... something. It wasn't anything you would normally notice, but when you have been staring at the same terrain day after day, even the most subtle differences are glaringly obvious. Something was odd about the land. A bit of a mound where it should have been completely flat.
"Keenan, do you suppose?"
"It might be! Let us give it a look anyway."
We raced to the spot, and began digging with our bare hands. I coughed violently. The dust had always caused me more problems than anyone else I know.
"Just keep digging Rose. I see something!"

We raced to the spot, and began digging with our bare hands. I coughed violently. The dust had always caused me more problems than anyone else I know. 

*This writing is copyrighted by Katherine Stone 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment