Thursday, February 12, 2015

Proverbs 17:17

     "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." I think we can all agree that everyone wants to know where to find a friend like this. But... what about BEING a friend like this? Maybe you've got this down, maybe you're the greatest friend anyone could ask for. Or maybe not. Do you ever take a step back and realize that all you've been talking to your friends about is your problems? That you've been taking them for granted, or expecting them to initiate everything? I know I can be accused of this on multiple occasions. Now, there are THOUSANDS of ways to be a friend who loves at all times, and a lot of it can depend on knowing what your friend's love languages are    ( http://www.5lovelanguages.com/ ) , so that you can know how best to express your appreciation. However, there's one way that I've been experimenting with lately. The most powerful thing any Christian can do is pray. After all, God is the Creator of the universe, the Savior of our souls! All things are possible for Him, and what better way to love your friends than to pray for them? But with all your many friends, family, and acquaintances, how could you possibly keep up with praying for ALL those people. I would suggest getting a nice journal or notebook. Every. Single. Time someone asks you to pray for them, or you comment on Facebook, "I'll be praying for you!" write it down in that notebook. 
        Something I've been trying lately is to choose five ladies I know (They can be my close friends, moms I know, or just acquaintances) each month. I will write them a little note of appreciation and encouragement and send it in the mail (because, admit it, everyone just LOVES getting letters in the mail, even if they don't want to write back) and every single day that month, I will pray for those ladies specifically, morning and evening, and anytime in between. I go out of my way to find out if they need prayer and/or encouragement for anything at all. Don't keep it secret either! I'm not saying "start bragging to people about what a good friend you are!!!" but let those five people know that you will be praying for them every day. Praying for your friends is probably the number one MOST encouraging thing you can do for anyone. In fact, if they'd like, you might even call them a couple times that month, and offer to pray WITH them, either over the phone, or to meet up at a coffee shop or one of your homes to pray with them. Do you have a special way of letting your friends know you love them, and you're there for them? I'd love to hear about it!!!

                                     ~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment