Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Writing an emotional scene from a male POV

    Ladies, we've all had our struggles. We really need to get inside this male character's head, but we don't know how! Well, I'm not a guy, so I'm no expert. However, I have 3 brothers, and no sisters, so I know quite a bit.

Guys have emotions, but they don't act emotional
  So, if you tell a guy you don't like him, sure he'll be sad. He will not, however, run off and cry. However, if someone they love dies, chances are they will cry, but not in front of people. This is a terrible example, but when our cat died a year ago, my brother was 11. He's the oldest boy in the family, and has one of those "rough and tough guy" exteriors. But as I'm standing there, with my arms wrapped around him, sobbing, he's completely stiff. I got angry "What's wrong with you? Don't you care?" I wanted to scream. But I look up, and a tear is just barely escaping his eye. He storms away, and slams the front door closed behind him. Art is his way of expressing himself, so he drew a picture of our cat, and wrote a little bit. When we buried our cat, he put the picture in the "grave", and perhaps cried a bit. Meanwhile, I had written emotional words that I couldn't even say, because I was too choked up with tears, and couldn't stop crying. Now, not all guys are just like that, and not all girls are just like me. But guys in general don't show outward emotion. My brother Josh, who was 9 at the time never shed a tear. He had probably played with Eddie (our cat) the most, cuddled him the most, and been closest to him. But he never once showed a hint of outward emotion. He just kept talking and talking all day long.


                                                  ~Katie~

No comments:

Post a Comment